Dear Karen,

> We know that the licenses require that license information and notices be
> retained, as Mike Dolan pointed out. (In GPL-2.0 this text is "keep intact
> all the notices that refer to this License").

Indeed, the full text of the license should always been available when
using SPDX License Identifiers. The suggestion (which we've now
removed) to include the licenses' typical header information as well
as the SPDX License Identifiers was guidance for copyright holders to
declare the licensing that they released the code under. There's no
suggestion from SPDX that non-copyright-holders should remove any
copyright or license notices from code that they receive or
redistribute, be they typical license headers or SPDX License
Identifiers.

Thus, the point that the discussion here started around was merely
about the preference of copyright holders of how to include license
notices. We used to try to influence this, but have now decided not to
any longer and let copyright holders make their own decisions.

The REUSE case, as well as what Warner is doing with FreeBSD, is to
have a canonical license text in a particular directory in the source
code, and to use only the SPDX License Identifiers in the code files
themselves. This makes it less likely that unintentional license
variations will be added to source code files, and to make it easier
for downstream users to catalogue all the applicable licenses. All
users need to do is look in a single directory - very convenient! :)

I hope I've managed to clear up any confusion you have, but feel free
to respond if I didn't something doesn't quite make sense.

Best wishes,

Sebastian