(removing general mailing list and adding spdx-tech)

David,

A few clarifications below:

Btw, you are not a member of the spdx-legal mailing list, so these emails keep
bouncing. Could you please join it, so I don’t have to manage the bounces?  :)

Thanks!
Jilayne

> On Jun 17, 2022, at 11:43 AM, David Kemp <dk1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I strongly support Gary's approach of identifying requirements first, then
> identifying and selecting from technical solutions that meet all requirements.
>
> The requirements are:
>
> * The SPDX legal team must:
>   - define criteria for accepting licenses
>   - evaluate licenses for conformance with the criteria
>   - publish a list of licenses that meet the criteria

To be clear - this is already well-established as what the SPDX legal team
already does for the SPDX License List.
This is NOT part of the current proposal we’ve been discussing the last 3
Fridays b/c it doesn’t need to be. Please familiarize yourself with the
explanation and links at the top of the license list page
https://spdx.org/licenses/ <https://spdx.org/licenses/> in contrast to the
section in the SPDX Spec regarding “Other License Info” and the use of
LicenseRef- here:
https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/other-licensing-information-detected/
<https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/other-licensing-information-detected/>

The “namespace” proposal builds upon the LicenseRef option.

> * The SPDX technical team must:
>   - define SBOM data formats that unambiguously identify licenses applicable
> to all software of interest in the cybersecurity domain.

I’m not sure that is entirely accurate. How licenses are identified is the
domain of the SPDX legal team, although I recognize that “identify” is broad
and we may be thinking of that in different ways.
And identifying licenses is certainly of interest to more than the
cybersecurity domain.

> Today's discussion presupposes a technical solution, e.g., using namespaces,
> tying namespaces to DNS names, resolving IP issues related to licenses and
> namespaces, etc.  Other technical solutions that avoid namespaces are on the
> table and have not yet been discussed.

Let’s keep in mind (because I fear it gets lost and that may contribute to why
we’ve been talking about this proposal for… years!) the high-level goal of the
proposal which is to create a standard way to use LicenseRef- such that a
License-Ref can be used to refer to a specific license outside the context of
an SPDX Document, by using a ’namespace’ along with LicenseRef-.
The original intent was in the context of licenses that don’t meet the SPDX
License Inclusion principles (which by the way, have been revised and softened
since this discussion began).

> * Software licenses that apply only to executables and do not provide for the
> availability of the source code will not be included on the SPDX License List.
this is one of the current SPDX License List inclusion principles.  There is a
long history and sensible rationale for this, which I’m happy to fill you in on
separately.

> The U.S. Government has an interest in promoting cybersecurity through supply
> chain assurance, which includes SBOMs for software that is out of scope for
> SPDX registration (e.g., software for which source code is not available).
In the case that the US Government is using SPDX for its SBOM format, then
there is already a way to document such licenses by way of section 10

> The U.S. Government has an interest in promoting efficient SCRM solutions.
>
> Using different technical mechanisms to identify source-available licenses
> and other licenses is not efficient, and we strongly support the use of a
> single technical mechanism (a deconflicted unified license identifier list)
> for use in SBOM files.
I interpret this as meaning you support the concept of having a more
“transferable” way to use LicenseRef- as per the original intent of the
proposal - that is, a license defined using LicenseRef- is not “limited” to
just being identified in that specific SPDX Document. Note, there is also
already a way to capture license text for LicenseRef- licenses and link it -
this is part of an earlier call and there is a task to improve the explanation
of this in the spec because no one was really aware (see previous meeting notes
about that)

> (On a related note, we also support registration of a numeric identifier for
> each license identifier, as ISO 3166 (https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search
> <https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search>) assigns both a number and a text ID to
> each country..  This is for use in efficient non-human-readable data formats
> such as Protobuf and CBOR.
The SPDX License List already provides a machine-readable (text) unique id to
each license. Why is that not enough?