Hi Peter,

Thanks for raising this (and glad the license templates have been useful
for you!)

Your email is timely, as we actually discussed a related point (though not
specific to CC-BY-4.0) during the Legal Team call on this past Thursday.

Currently, I don't think there is a matching guideline that covers the
scenario you're describing. But the general sense from the call was that
there should be one. Something like, "if a line in a license consists of
solely 1 or more dash, hyphen, underscore or equal-sign characters, ignore
it for matching purposes." That isn't precise wording, but that's the
concept that seemed to make sense. Would definitely need to get input from
the SPDX tech team and tool developers before this became official, of
course.

You can see some more discussion at [0] and [1] for where this arose and is
being addressed. Feel free to weigh in there as well!

Finally, for CC-BY-4.0 specifically (and some of the other CC licenses for
which CC has published plain-text versions), it's a good point that they
don't have the equal-sign lines. They likely should be included as optional
text in the XML template [2] and appear in the "test text" file [3] for
that and other comparable CC licenses.

Best,
Steve

[0]: https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/pull/1594