Hi everyone!

As every year, Google runs their Summer of Code program, where contributors get
the opportunity to become part of Open Source communities. The SPDX Project has
participated in the program in a number of years in the past. The way it works
is that we publish project ideas and, if selected, newcomers to open source
express their interest in them. The ones finally selected will spend their
summer writing code under the guidance of mentors from our project. In order
for contributors to join our community and help us, we have to publish a set of
ideas where help is needed!

Therefore, this is a plea for ideas - and more importantly, mentors who can
guide the new contributors and help them accomplish their projects!

Firstly, we are looking for project ideas! Either small or large, either
incremental improvements to existing open source code or new pieces of
software; everything is welcome!
Please read the basics on
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list.html
and then write a couple of lines on your great idea.

I've (hastily) created a special repo for all this: https://github.com/spdx/GSoC
Feel free to create PRs with your ideas!

Perhaps even more important than ideas, we are also looking for mentors! Please
get in contact via the repo if you are willing to help new members become
active participants to SPDX this summer. Each project should have at least two
mentors (a primary and a secondary one) who will guide the contributors in
their journey.

Feel free to open an issue in the repo if you want to discuss in more detail
any of the above.
Looking forward to lots of participation!

-- zvr

PS. I've already added a project idea: help on the spec generation from our
model files.
Off the top of my head I can think of other ideas like:

  *   Outreach: help with the website
  *   Legal: help with license submission tools, help with bulk import from
other license lists
  *   Tech: help with SPDXv3 implementation in Java, Go, etc.
But all these need mentors, otherwise they cannot be realistically proposed.

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Registered Address: Am Campeon 10, 85579 Neubiberg, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de <http://www.intel.de>
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Sharon Heck, Tiffany Doon Silva
Registered Office: Munich