Hello SPDX legal team list,

As a heads-up, you may have seen that the initial pre-release of SPDX 3.0
(3.0-rc1) was tagged yesterday:
https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/releases/tag/3.0-rc1

This initial pre-release is focused on defining the “model” of data for SPDX
3.0, for a variety of “profiles”
<https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/tree/main/model> representing different
use cases for metadata in software bills of materials. For folks who aren’t
familiar with it, the files in the spdx-3-model repo
<https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/> represent the “upstream sources” for
the SPDX 3.0 data model. This is sort of similar to the XML files in
license-list-XML <https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML>: it is the “source”
version of the spec, but not in the format that many end users would typically
reference. Because of this, it is probably harder to read for those who haven’t
been familiar with the details of how it is being developed. I am assuming that
a more human-readable, rendered version of the spec will become available as
well for future pre-releases.

As a pre-release, this -rc1 is meant to be an initial version particularly for
tooling developers to begin testing out implementation of the draft standard
and identifying issues for further rework before the full 3.0 release. While
the release generally covers the new Licensing Profile structure that was
originally discussed in 2020/2021, I am sure there will be further changes and
opportunities for input before the final release.

For anyone who wants to explore the current draft definitions of the initial
classes and properties for the Licensing Profile, here are a few links that
would be useful:

Classes: https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/tree/main/model/Licensing/Classes
Properties for licenses:
https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/tree/main/model/Licensing/Properties
Properties for Software Artifacts:
https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/tree/main/model/Software/Properties
Specifically from this folder: concludedLicense, declaredLicense, copyrightText
and attributionText
These are the fields that can be defined on Packages, Files or Snippets.

If you want to learn more, here are a few upcoming opportunities:
During the SPDX 3.0 Tooling Mini Summit
<https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-source-summit-north-america/features/co-located-events/#spdx-3-tooling-mini-summit>
 tomorrow, there will be presentations about the Licensing Profile and other
SPDX 3.0 profiles, along with discussions about tooling and implementation. The
Mini Summit is co-located with Open Source Summit North America
<https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-source-summit-north-america/>, with
zero-cost registration to attend virtually (I’ll be attending virtually
myself). You’ll need to register for OSSNA to attend the Mini Summit.
This coming Thursday, May 11, during the regularly-scheduled Legal Team call,
I’ll give more of an overview of the draft Licensing Profile particularly for
non-technical participants in the SPDX Legal Team community.
Finally, we will look to schedule some follow-on meetings for further joint
Tech-Legal Team discussions of the open issues for the Licensing Profile
leading up to the full 3.0 release.

Best regards,
Steve