Hello Christian and welcome!

There is a long story behind the change to the GNU licenses that you see today
that I won’t bore you with, but you can get a summary here:
https://spdx.dev/license-list-3-0-released/ (which has links to other related
articles).

The license expression syntax still have the + operator which can be applied to
any license, e.g., EUPL-1.2+

I think what you have identified is a situation where the license (EUPL) text
defaults to having the option of “any later version” but if someone wants to
override that, they must specify somehow explicitly. We do not have a “only”
operator in the same way as the existing + operator. Somewhat ironically, this
was the favored recommendation from SPDX-legal back in 2017 to solve the more
explicit identifier concerns for the GNU licenses, but was rejected by the FSF
as an acceptable solution. From my perspective, I’m not excited to do what we
did for the GNU licenses for another license, but I may be biased by that prior
experience. ;)

Perhaps we should revisit the idea of adding a corresponding operator that,
like +, can be used with any license?

Thanks,
Jilayne