Vladimir> How about Artistic-1.0 vs Artistic-1.0-cl8 vs Artistic-1.0-Perl vs
Artistic-2.0?
David>Those are not SPDX license identifiers.  If they were, then I would say
the first set are not SPDX license identifiers
> Here you go, sir: https://spdx.org/licenses/
> I've quoted a subset of non-deprecated SPDX identifiers.

Good show, I totally forgot about those.

Okay, so my previous proposal won't work exactly, but I think it can be rescued
with a little tweaking.  Maybe we should claim that a version number is the
first match after a "-" to some pattern like this regex:

[1-9]+\.[0-9][^-]*

If they have "-..." afterwards (other than "-only" or "-or-later") that would
be considered part of the license name as well (e.g., license name second part).

Under these modified rules the version number has to start with a number, a
period, and number, so these would NOT match a version number:
BSD-3-Clause-No-Nuclear-License
BSD-3-Clause-No-Nuclear-License-2014

And the lists you gave above WOULD have a version number.

Vladimir> How about LPPL-1.0 vs LPPL-1.2 vs LPPL-1.3a vs LPPL-1.3c?
David>The second set is easily ordered by natural sort, and is ordered in
exactly the order shown.

> Are you sure LPPL-1.3c is "a later version of " LPPL-1.3a?

We can *require* that its SPDX identifier have a specific answer - I would
recommend the answer be "yes".  If it's part of the version text, it's a
version... if it's a variation, the SPDX id would have to have a "-" before the
rest.

Basically, if it's not part of the version "number", then the SPDX id would
have to have a "-" before the additional text.

I think this more-or-less codifies existing practice.

> As I said, Artistic-1.0 vs Artistic-1.0-cl8 is not that obvious in terms of
> "natural order".

David>If it’s really bizarre, a special version or new name could be used.

> Your move: what should be the "version" for Artistic-1.0, Artistic-1.0-cl8,
> Artistic-1.0-Perl, Artistic-2.0?

David>It’s more complex than that, because if some software is a released with
a rider that says “only this version may be used”

? If they use "the canonical version of CC-BY-SA 2.0", then they do not
override the text.
> If they somehow override the text to allow CC-BY-SA-2.0 **only** (I've no
> idea if that is possible but let's pretend it is), then they can't really use
> SPDX identifier of CC-BY-SA-2.0 because they are effectively using a
> different license (which is more like "only CC-BY-SA-2.0").

It's pretty common to say, "We only allow this version of the license",
regardless of what the license text says.  A number of lawyers have an
understandable allergy to signing agreements they have not reviewed.  Since
it's a common case, we should have a way to record that common case.

--- David A. Wheeler