Following up on the tech call's discussion on IRI's and URI I did a bit of
homework.

TL;DR - no issues in changing the SPDX documentation from URI to IRI -
compatible with 2.2 and has some advantages

Additional information:

I found this article to be a good overview of the differences and their
relevance to linked data specifications:
https://fusion.cs.uni-jena.de/fusion/blog/2016/11/18/iri-uri-url-urn-and-the
ir-differences/

In summary, all URI's are IRI's, so 2.2 documents would be compatible
unchanged.

I also noticed the in the XML Schema 2 section 3.3.17
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#anyURI>  defines xsd:anyURI as "anyURI
represents an Internationalized Resource Identifier Reference (IRI).  An
anyURI value can be absolute or relative, and may have an optional fragment
identifier (i.e., it may be an IRI Reference).  This type should be used
when the value fulfills the role of an IRI, as defined in [RFC 3987] or its
successor(s) in the IETF Standards Track."

I don't recall any discussion in past SPDX meetings on restricting
international characters in URI's.  In fact, we have always adopted
standards which support international character sets in SPDX documents (e.g.
UTF-8 encoding requirement).

Based on this homework, changing from URI to IRI should not have any
material impact on the SPDX document production or consumption.  It has the
advantage of being consistent with RDF and other linked data specifications.
The only downside I can think of is there are still references to URI in the
XSD datatypes which may be confusing - but as pointed out above, the
definition of anyURI includes IRI's.

Those of you more expert in IRI's, let me know if I missed anything.

Gary

Gary O'Neall

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email:  <mailto:g...@sourceauditor.com> g...@sourceauditor.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.