Hi Karsten,

  * I thought we discussed this or something very similar during the
    early licensing-profile discussions regarding a “distributed
    license” concept and it was put to rest? :)

The reason I bring the concept up (again) is that we stumbled over the interpretation of concluded licenses in the docfest (particularly on package level). I basically summarized the way I see it and how we have been doing things for years.

well, I suppose that is not surprising it came up again, as I think we talked about some documentation during the last conversation, but, um, that never got done. Probably a good time to revisit what is needed, and get something going!

  * In any case, I think this is over-complicating things and sort of
    missing the original intent of the Declared License (package
    level) / License Info in File (file level and Concluded License
    (package and file) fields.

I was intentionally not bringing in the level.

Yeah, I was trying to be general too, but in reality, which level you are talking about does make a difference. I tend to think that when at the file level, it's a bit easier in the sense that some license info is either in the specific file (a matter of detecting what it is) or there is no license info (NONE). I think your example chart seems more like a package-level situation, do you agree?

Along these lines, any documentation or examples should probably be specific as to what level and use those fields. Otherwise, generalizing could just add more confusion?

I agree that this needs to be further discussed (if anticipating this approach in any form). My point is – and this is often the case; but I may be alone with that standpoint – that we should argue from a use-case-driven and semantically clean perspective. Concluded license in the current form simply irritates me with mybackground of license compliance and my daily routine with real-life software assets.

What is often the case? Do you mean the scenario that you mapped out?
Even if that's so, I am not seeing the benefit of capturing all this info for the recipients of your SPDX document. What is the irritating bit about the current form of Concluded license??  Is there a point for additional text in the spec description and purpose, perhaps (which we may have already done, but I haven't looked at the draft licensing profile in awhile!)

Cheers,
Jilayne

For me it is valuable to have written up the proposal and to have shared it to the lists. My action item for the docfest is resolved. No further agenda; no bad feelings.

If someone has questions or wants to understand the details, I’m happy to stand in any time.

I welcome your proposal to create/inspect further examples. Perhaps this gives the option to revisit things from the one or the other perspective.

Thank you and regards,

Karsten