David's definition didn't (at least at the surface) match my understanding.
My understanding is that "Document" is a collection of elements with no
presumption of shared context, it's just a transport mechanism. A
"ContextualCollection" implies that the elements in it have shared context,
for example, the files in a package, or the contents of a bill of materials.

"Document" wasn't the preferred term from 3T-SBOM members, but as part of
combining efforts it was deemed an acceptable name given SPDX's past usage
of it. In SPDX 2.2 documents don't require any shared context for elements
in the document, there may be assumed shared context but it's not a
requirement of the specification.