>> *[William] *Since a Unit of Transfer contains elements but is not an
>> element how do you attach the ICV to the Unit of Transfer?

 Document is metadata about a Unit of Transfer.  Both a File element and a
Document element can contain a verifiedBy ICV that is computed over the
file or UoT respectively.  In order to check the "verifiedBy" values you
need to have the bytes of the file or UoT.

*[William] *One specific requirement was that we can retain the ExternalMap
>> and NamespaceMap when deserializing and serializing, even across different
>> formats. I think this requirement then requires that information to be in
>> the logical model so that it isn't lost.

The Document element can contain any properties we want it to contain.  But
if the goal is to use the same namespaceMap in multiple UoT's, the
namespaceMap can be obtained from the bytes of UoT #1, just as the
resolution of a JPEG can be obtained from the bytes of JPEG #1 even if the
File element doesn't have a resolution property.

*[William] *I want to separate this into two parts. Yes, once deserialized
>> the elements are identical. However, the NamespaceMap is kept in the
>> logical model so that when you serialize back out you can repeat the
>> original map process.

As above - the goal can be achieved without defining Document metadata
properties that duplicate file content.  But metadata is a description, and
the description can include as much of the file content as we want.

Dave