Hi Brandon,

I believe it is safe to ignore the v2.2.0 JSON schema.

The “describesPackages” was deprecated on release 2.0 of the spec and is only
used for compatibility with pre 2.0 spec version using the RDF format.  There
is an open issue to remove this property
<https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/issues/534> .  It was probably in the 2.2.0
JSON schema due to it being generated from the RDF schema which still has the
deprecated property.  It looks like PR #528
<https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/pull/528/files>  is where the property was
replaced with the more appropriate “documentDescribes”.

In the past, we’ve used the JSON examples as the primary documentation for the
JSON format.  With the fixes from PR 528, we should be able to use both the
JSON Schema and the examples. The documentation for the JSON format should be
dramatically improved in the 3.0 spec.

Cheers,
Gary