Recordon, David wrote:
Combining this with the fact that there is no viable way to enforce
sections 8.1 or A.4 being MUSTs, I do not believe that they should be
changed from SHOULDs.  The only conceivable way I could see of enforcing
something like this is telling a Relying Party that they cannot use
OpenID Authentication if they don't follow these non-essential markup
requirements; that is not something I am willing to do.
"Be liberal in what you accept, be conservative in what you send."

Enforcement is not a requirement. Having said that, I think I agree with you: SHOULD is probably strong enough to ensure that those who can, will.

--
Pete