From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Johannes Ernst
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 1:40 PM
To: Nat Sakimura
Cc: 'OpenID specs list'
Subject: Re: Specifying identifier recycling

On May 31, 2007, at 18:41, Nat Sakimura wrote:

> Public key idea is somewhat attractive to me, but there are some
> issues that
> comes up in my mind as well.

Bring them on ;-)

> 1) Storing many users' private key on the server in decryptable
> format is
> not very safe.
>
> In your proposal, it looks like that OP is going to hold the
> private key for
> each user in decryptable format. Considering that most large scale
> privacy
> leakage happens at the server side, I have got a feeling that such
> thing
> like private key in a shared location.

How would this be less safe than storing many shared secrets (per
OpenID Auth) in decryptable format, or clear-text (more likely) on
the server?

Note that these private keys would not be general-purpose private
keys, but only for the specific purpose we are discussing here.

Also, I suspect that the use of these keys would be fairly infrequent
compared to other operations, so conceivably one could add additional
safeguards of various kinds if that was needed.

> 2) It may mean a high cost operation for OPs.
>
> If we do this, it makes OP operation very high cost because to make
> the
> service safe, it would require a lot of measures. (NRI is providing
> similar
> kind of service but it indeed is very high cost operation.)
>
> Nice thing about i-number is that it has no value like public key
> except for
> its resolvability. Even if it leaks, that's kind of ok so
> operational risk
> is low.

This comparison does not work very well for me. However: I don't know
the details of how to avoid "impersonation" via i-numbers (in case of
key pairs, it would be "private key leaks and is reused by attacker"
-- what would be the equivalent for i-numbers?), but I suspect there
are some measures that prevent attackers from impersonation by using
somebody else's i-number? If so, aren't they similarly susceptible to
attack?

> Actually, these private key pain may be eased by IBE (Identity Based
> Encryption) but I need some more time to contemplate on it.

I had somebody else mention this to me -- I wonder whether anybody
could put together an actual proposal.

> 3) Since OPs has an access to the users' private key, they may
> recycle them
> as well.
>
> IMHO, recycling is operational problem as well as a technical one.
> i-number from a certified i-broker is somewhat trustable on the
> account of
> no recycling because of this operational restriction. Could there be
> operational restriction similart to that for general OPs as well?

There could, and -- I suspect -- in the longer term there probably
will, but the whole point about a decentralized system like OpenID is
to keep the playing field level without a central entity in the
middle for the maximum length of time and scope possible.

In any case, I think we should use the approach to use
(decentralized) technology to the maximum extent possible, and only
add operational requirements when unavoidable. (And I know that many
people on this list would scream bloody murder if anybody seriously
proposed such a centralized requirement for OpenID usage ...)
Personally I would feel we didn't think hard enough on this
particular problem if the solution to this problem required us to use
centralization of some kind.