On 02/04/2008, Paul E. Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > A solution that matches closer with what the user expects would be to
>  > map "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to a claimed ID of "mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]".
>
> The average user is not going to know what "mailto:"; is.

The mailto: transition would be something done internally by the RP.
The RP could (and probably should) display email addresses without the
"mailto:"; prefix to the user.

This is similar to the way RPs store persistent XRIs as the user's
claimed ID but are encouraged to display the reassignable XRI.

>  > For (2), I'd suggest a solution that maps the email address to either
>  > directly to an OpenID endpoint (using the claimed ID as local ID), or
>  > to an XRDS file.  A DNS based solution seems fine here (either your
>  > NAPTR idea, or TXT records as suggested in replies to your post).
>

> NAPTR queries and transformations are straight-forward.  It's just a regular
>  expression transformation from something that looks like an e-mail address
>  to the real OpenID ID.
>
>  But, again, I don't really care how it works. But, for the benefit of those
>  who are not so technically capable, I believe it's got to be super, super
>  trivial.  NAPTR would work extremely well, I think, and would be fast.  Any
>  OpenID OP could provide an e-mail style identifier and it would certainly be
>  a motivator for anybody providing e-mail service to also OpenID enable their
>  subscriber's e-mail addresses.

I don't think there is a need to introduce an HTTP identity URL here.
If you're going to use an email address as an identity, then use an
email address as an identity.

James.