On 09.11.2008, at 20:51, Nat Sakimura wrote:
> As to AX+SAML (or for that matter XAdES) is concerned, that is a
> valid approach, but if I were to use SAML, I would use

Just to clarify a technical detail: The XAdES example regarding
Estonia you mentioned earlier does not include transporting XAdES
payloads over OpenID AX (which seems to be the purpose of the
discussed workgroup where the similarities of SAML over AX come in).
The special behavior and out of band assurances given by openid.ee
does not include anything new on the protocol level, just added
semantics to basic OpenID transactions. If we could use PDF signatures
as legally valid signatures in Estonia, it could be PDF based
signatures instead of XAdES, or ODF signatures, or MS .doc signatures.

FYI, openid.ee allows a RP to upload a contract (template) which must
be agreed with and digitally signed (legally binding signature
resulting in an XAdES document with the filled in contract signed by
the user with an ID-card and stored on the OP) before the OP starts
issuing positive assertions about the given user to the given RP. The
contract could be a document of any kind (PDF, JPG, DOC, TXT) and the
only thing that is transferred to the RP over AX is a 'secret url'
from where the RP can download the signed contract (XAdES container
with the possibly PDF contract in it).

The actual assurance (that the user has signed the contract the RP has
uploaded) comes from out of band agreements/contracts between OP and
RP. The AX attribute is just an extra option, if the RP wishes to
automatically fetch and store the signed contract somewhere.

Basically it is an advanced and legally binding 'I agree with terms
and conditions' checkbox built on top of standard OpenID.
With legally binding I mean that it is dead simple in the court: "Here
are the terms and conditions you digitally signed and which you have
violated" as checking checkboxes and pressing 'continue' is not a
legally binding action in Estonia, at least I don't know of any court
cases about it.

If you need an example use case, think of signing and faxing NDA-s
before you can download some simple "secret" product documentation.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee