Sadly, because the OpenID authentication request is not signed, the CK
can't be authenticated, but as you pointed out, although the user may
authorize the application, the CK secret is still required to fetch the
credentials. The worst that could happen is that a user will authorize
an impostor, but the impostor will not be able to retrieve the token.

That being said, in our case, the CK contains additional information
besides the scope. Yahoo's OAuth Permissions screen contains a lot of
rich information including the application's name, description,
developer(s), images, authorization lifetimes, etc. Over time, new
fields may be added to the approval page.

While it might make sense for the application's scope to be passed in at
authorization time, does it also make sense to define new parameters for
all the other application specific metadata? The actual data that needs
to be displayed on an approval page is very SP specific, and some SPs
may have security/legal policies requiring that all metadata is manually
reviewed, which makes it impossible for metadata to be passed in at runtime.

So that's why SPs may need the CK in order to display the Approval page.
Make sense?

Allen