James Henstridge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Luke Shepard <lshep...@facebook.com> wrote:
One crude way to do it would be to have the caller specify that they want
the return_to args simply appended instead of integrated into the URL-
perhaps an argument like openid.append_return_to_params=true. But that
sounds hackish and I’d love to hear feedback on a better way to do this.

How would this interact with OpenID providers that respond via a POST
request instead of a GET?  This is something they are permitted to do
according to the spec, and may decide to do so even if the
authentication request was started with a GET if the response is large
enough.

This is a good point, but it seems like again it can be worked around by making openid_reciever.html accept POST requests.

Unlike the query string, this can't be done completely client side, but it ought to be reasonably simple to set up some kind of rewriterule or other indirection trick to make POST requests to openid_reciever.html actually get served by a non-static endpoint.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if POST requests from OP to RP worked interoperably today, but the trick of using the # on the end of the return_to URL to signal to a supporting OP "I'm trying to do this completely client-side, so don't do a POST request" works here too.