dear friends,

berlin's media>arts<lab TESLA is facing closure by the end of this year. the spaces in the podewils'sches palais and the complete funding are being withdrawn after three years of pioneering work.

the immediate reason for this is that the local government that funds tesla needs the money for something else ('cultural education', fostering the appreciation of art by young people, e.g. by bringing artists into schools, building partnerships between art institutions and schools, etc.). moreover, they were supposedly not happy about the relatively low number of paying visitors at tesla. they completely disregarded the fact that we had many non-paying visitors, and ignored the singular role that tesla has as a laboratory and production place for artists working with different media and technologies.

if you would like to comment on this to our state secretary for culture, andre schmitz, who is politically responsible for this decision, it would be much appreciated. please, cc us.

regards,
-a

t e s l a
media > art < laboratory

call to action

in light of the current threat to t e s l a 's existence, we call upon artists, audience, and colleagues, to communicate to the state of berlin what the city risks to lose with this decision. learn more about the current situation at http://www.tesla-berlin.de , write a letter or an e-mail to mr andre schmitz, the state secretary for cultural affairs, and please remember to send a copy to t e s l a , as well, for our documentation. you will find the necessary addresses at the end of this mail.

rather than generic protest letters, we particularly encourage qualified statements on the meaning and importance of media art, on the need for venues for artistic production, presentation, and reflection, on support for media art in berlin, and on t e s l a 's role in both a local and international context. in the coming months, we will increase our efforts to attain support from the state of berlin for this branch of the arts, and we hope that this action will make it clear that a real need and a broad interest exists.

we thank you for your support. we hope that this campaign will reach those responsible for cultural politics and demonstrate to them the vital need for a competent center for art and media in berlin. please forward this call trough your mailing list. please address any questions to moritz von rappard (pr and press) at 030. 247 49 788 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

andreas broeckmann, detlev schneider, carsten seiffarth

Herrn Staatssekretär André Schmitz
beim Regierenden Bürgermeister von Berlin
Senatskanzlei - Kulturelle Angelegenheiten
Brunnenstraße 188 - 190
D - 10119 Berlin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

t e s l a