-------- Original Message --------

Subject:        this wednesday!
Date:   Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:17:00 -0700
From:   New Media Lounge <fhanna AT ucsd d()t edu>
To:     newmedialoung...@mailman.ucsd.edu <newmedialoung...@mailman.ucsd.edu>

Hello all digital art junkies and what have you,

New Media Lounge is excited to bring MFA Candidate, Micha Cardenas for an exclusive motion capture demonstration in the Performative Computing Lab at the Center for Research in Computing and the Arts (CRCA). Micha will be discussing her recent project /*Becoming* *Dragon*/, a 365 hour, (2 week long) performance in Second Life. The performance is believed to be the first of its kind in Second Life, and Micha will talk about her experience and research, in addition to a techie demonstration of the motion capture setup involved.

Join us on Wednesday, April 15th, at 6pm for some food, drinks, good music, and mocap fun. The Performative Computing Space in CRCA is located in Cal(IT)2, (Atkinson Hall) in Warren college, on the first floor. Make a right past the elevators, follow the hallway to the right once again, and you can't miss it. There will be signs posted as well.

Flyer here:
http://bang.calit2.net/tts/michaNmlFlyer.png

See you then!!!
-nml

More on Becoming Dragon, from http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/release.php?id=1431 "In an age when biotechnology has made it possible to alter the fundamentals of our food supply, our energy sources and even our genetic makeup, one graduate student at the University of California, San Diego, is pushing the limits of what it means to be human by exploring the intersections of biotechnology, art and virtual-reality in an immersive, durational performance titled */Becoming Dragon/*."

"The project is a means of questioning the one-year requirement for "real-life experience" that transgender people must fulfill in order to receive gender confirmation surgery (also known as sexual reassignment surgery)." " 'The general theme for my project is to explore the possibilities for transformation, to ask the question, Is change really possible, or do you get what you're given, and that's it?' Cardenas explains. 'I'm asking if it's possible to replace this real-life experience requirement with Second Life experience, but I'm also asking a question that is somewhat rhetorical or fantastical: Could you really become your second-life avatar?' "

--

micha cárdenas
performance / social media / public culture

C(a)lit2 Researcher, http://bang.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher, http://crca.ucsd.edu
MFA Candidate, UCSD, http://visarts.ucsd.edu
MA, EGS, http://egs.edu