From: Ricardo Dal Farra <ricardo.dalfa...@concordia.ca>
To: "czegl...@interlog.com" <czegl...@interlog.com>
Subject: [call: e-art & climate change] BALANCE-UNBALANCE conference 2017

<http://balance-unbalance2017.org/>http://balance-unbalance2017.org

BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017

[Arts + Sciences x Technology = Environment / Responsibility]

- A Sense of Place -

August 21 to 23, 2017

i-DAT, Plymouth University, UK.

BALANCE-UNBALANCE (BunB - <http://balance-unbalance2017.org/>http://balance-unbalance2017.org) is an International Conference designed to use ART as a catalyst to explore intersections between NATURE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY and SOCIETY as we move into an era of both unprecedented ecological threats and transdisciplinary possibilities.

The BALANCE-UNBALANCE conference will bring artists together with scientists, economists, philosophers, politicians, management and policy experts, sociologists and engineers from across the world with the intent of engendering a deeper awareness and creating lasting intellectual working partnerships in solving our global environmental crisis.

"We are living in a world reaching a critical point where the equilibrium between a healthy environment, the energy our society needs to maintain or improve this lifestyle and the interconnected economies could pass more quickly than expected from the current complex balance to a complete new reality where unbalance would be the rule and human beings would need to be as creative as never before to survive. Environmental problems, economic uncertainty and political complexity have been around for a long time. What was different before was the speed and depth of transformations compared with today's sudden changes. The frequent occurrence and severity that certain weather and climate-related events are having around us is increasing, and the ability of human beings on modifying adjacent surroundings as well as distant places have turn into a power capable of altering the planet [Š] The arts could play a major part in helping the global society to understand the magnitude of the crisis we are facing, and in promoting the awareness around environmental matters. it could also be a very good vehicle to disseminate proposals able produce changes in our behavior and decisions, influencing our chances for the future. Artists could promote inter and transdisciplinary actions focusing on our responsibility regarding the turning point we are living in defining the future of -human- life on Earth."

For further information on the BALANCE-UNBALANCE agenda read: <http://balance-unbalance2017.org/files/2016/08/Dal_Farra_BunB_Breaking_Paradigms_2015.pdf>Breaking Paradigms: Electronic Arts & Humanitarian Actions by Ricardo Dal Farra.

SUBMISSIONS:

BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017 invites papers, transdisciplinary workshops, artistic activities and artefacts (including VR and Fulldome content), posters and panels that respond to the provocation provided by the 'Sense of Place' theme. These initiatives should propose new opportunities for digital/electronic/media arts to catalyse transdisciplinary activity and behaviour change to help solve our global environmental crisis.

BunB 2017 wishes to build on the work of previous BunB Conferences by cultivating virtual and networked models which allow increased diversity, access and dissemination whilst significantly reducing the carbon footprint of a major international conference.

BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017, A Sense of Place is the 6th edition in the conference series: <http://balance-unbalance2017.org/>http://balance-unbalance2017.org

BunB 2016 - Manizales, Colombia: <http://www.balance-unbalance2016.org/>www.balance-unbalance2016.org BunB 2015 - Arizona, United States: <http://www.balance-unbalance2015.org/>www.balance-unbalance2015.org BunB 2013 - Noosa, Australia: <http://www.balance-unbalance2013.org/>www.balance-unbalance2013.org BunB 2011 - Montreal, Canada: <http://www.balance-unbalance2011.hexagram.ca/>www.balance-unbalance2011.hexagram.ca BunB 2010 - Buenos Aires, Argentina: <http://www.ceiarteuntref.edu.ar/eq-deseq-en>www.ceiarteuntref.edu.ar/eq-deseq-en
About the theme for BunB 2017: "A Sense of Place".

Our increasingly mediated relationship with the environment brings new insights to the invisible forces that affect complex ecologies. From meteorological data flows to temporal climate change models, our relationship with our environment is becoming more abstract, simulated and remote - tempering our desire to act. Could it be that we know more and experience less? BunB17 maps the coordinates of our Sense of Place - the horizontal landscape to the vertical transcalar spaces of the macro/micro.

The 6th edition of the BunB conference will be held from August 21 to 23 of 2017 in Plymouth, UK. Produced by i-DAT in collaboration with the Sustainable Earth Institute and Art and Sound at Plymouth University, BunB17 is being produced in collaboration with the North Devon's UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Beaford Arts and Fulldome UK.

Deadline for submissions:

January 16, 2017 (midnight, UK time).
Notification of acceptance: February 28, 2017.

Call for participation: <http://balance-unbalance2017.org/call-for-participation>http://balance-unbalance2017.org/call-for-participation/