folks,

        what in hungary is going on is not nationalism, but ethinicism,
big difference.

Gáspár Miklós Tamás:
/.../
To get as far as they possibly could from democratic nationalism-which is a variant of classical republicanism: political equality and self-determination-they engaged in what I called ethnicism: an apolitical, destructive practice, opposed to the idea of citizenship. Transylvanian Hungarians were in the first ranks of the 1989 Romanian revolution, which they were repudiating-as it was 'foreign'-within a few months, after having been victims of Romanian pogroms. Common citizenship appears as a chimera. Small wonder though: citizenship and civic-democratic nationalism are dependent on the state, annihilated by neo-liberal politics. Nationalism has reunited small principalities in large states-Italy, Germany, Romania, Czecho-Slovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia, maybe even Soviet Russia. Ethnicism has destroyed them and created miserable little statelets, provincial and barbarous, dependent on international finance and local mafia for their livelihood. In this respect, Eastern Europe is not variegated. It is an area of fear where a plastic replica of tribalism appears soothing and homey.
/.../
https://newleftreview.org/II/80/g-m-tamas-words-from-budapest

cheers,

ps

https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/g-m-tam-s/anti-immigration-referendum-sunday-in-hungary

At 9:43 AM -0500 4/4/17, Frederic Neyrat wrote:
nationalism is a good thing? I certainly misunderstood your email, sorry,
as nationalism leads to wars and global destruction, cf. WW1, WW2 - and WW3?

 > it appears to me that like many other countries, hungary is disengaging
 from imperial vassal statehood and returning to nationalism

 this is potentially a good thing, as the rule of international law is
 incompatible with imperialism and nationalism at least has the option to