> If possible could you post the script, i would be very grateful.

Ok here's my setup - you'll need to change !!PPP-Partner!! to the ip
address of the other side of your ppp link (ie the ip address listed by
"P-t-P:" in ifconfig ppp0). I have this script being run by cron every
five minutes. It assumes that /proc/bus/usb is in /etc/fstab (and that
no other processes have fd's open in that dir!). The limits themselves
are probably a bit generous but do the job of stopping it hitting
system limits.

Hope it's of use...

Chris

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig | grep ppp0 >/dev/null 2>&1 && ping -c 2 !!PPP-Partner!! 2>&1 > /dev/null
if test $? -eq 1
then
  killall pppd
  sleep 1
  killall -9 pppd pppoa3
  killall modem_run
  sleep 1
  killall -9 modem_run pppd pppoa
  umount /proc/bus/usb
  rmmod uhci
  rmmod usbcore
  sleep 3
  modprobe uhci
  sleep 3
  mount /proc/bus/usb
  /usr/local/bin/modem_run -v 1 -m -f /usr/local/lib/mgmt.o
  ulimit -n 200
  ulimit -u 500
  pppd call adsl
fi