On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Michael Slater wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.. im with iiNet in Australia, on another machine, i
> use an Alcatel Ethernet Modem, and i dont need to set up ppp.. i simply
> assign an i.p address to the ethernet card that the modem is plugged into,
> and it works.. i dont seem to need ppp of any kind. On this machine however
> i must use a usb modem.. can i just load the usb driver, and assign it an
> i.p address ?

Ahh. You are using ppp (at least I would assume so) it is just that the
ethernet modem negotiates the ppp for you.

What happens is that you set up a ppp connection to your isp and then make
this the default gateway for all your traffic. If you put an ethernet
card into your linux box using the frog then you will be able to set up
something that works the same way as the ethernet modem and you wil have
to give the ethernet card an ip address.

You will also need to set up masquerading/NAT and possibly port forwarding,
again your ethernet modem is doing all this as well.

You will actually end up with two IP addresses, one from the ppp connection
and one from the ethernet card.

Your ethernet modem (assuming you used it to send the email I am replying
to got the IP address 203.41.169.130 from your ISP. I would guess that
you configured an address like 10.0.0.1.

Regards,

Tim.