---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Hugo Portela" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:52:20 +0000
Subject: [speedtouch] Re: is someone using the driver with pppoe under gentoo?

> Hello, Jose Bernardo Silva,
>
> >If you'd stayed with sourcemage instead of gentoo... ;)
> >
> I haven't been able to install it, some months ago :-)
> I have checked the SM site b4 trying gentoo, but gentoo has better
> documentation...

We are almost ready for a interim release by the end of the month, should be
much easier to install. Maybe you'll try it again then? :)

> >Take a look at the howto I posted for mandrake's mnf, since it was made for
> >portugal (oninet speed) and MNF hasn't got hotplug installed, so I didn't use
> >ifup. To get tap1 working, I edited the speedtouch.sh file to add the lines to
> >launch pppoa3 with the -b option, followed by pppoe. I also edited
> >/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf so that it would use the correct tap device. Getting it to
> >work with hotplug might be nice touch, though.
>
> what brings up your tap device? In my debian, if i understand
> correctly the concepts, when something try to use the /dev/net/tun
> device, hotplug calls ifup tap0 to bring the device up. (look at the
> following lines from my syslog, the idented line) and make it available.

I think (I'm not sure, will have to check at home) that the tap1 device in mnf
is created by pppoa3, but failing that... I don't remember seing a line saying
anything about the tap interface on syslog, as I only found that tap0 already
existed by chance. I'll check.

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva              | Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
[EMAIL PROTECTED]