Try "cat /var/log/messages > syslog.txt" and send the relevant parts -
stuff related to modem_run, pppoa3, pppd at the end of the syslog.txt -
to the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Paul Hudson
Sent: 13 March 2003 18:41
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [speedtouch] Re: How do I set up my Speedtouch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Howitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:34 PM

> Hi Paul
>
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 20:57, Paul Hudson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a Linux newbie so please be patient.
> >
> > I want to use my ADSL connection through the USD speedtouch 330 to
connect with the net but have got stuck with the setup.  I have
downloaded
the tar ball from the Speedtouch web site and gone through the
installation
procedure detailed in the enclosed HTML file ('Speedtouch USB - HOWTO
using
Benoit Papillault's Opensource drivers').  I think all was well and the
ifconfig stage returned no errors.

> > What do I need to do now though, what is the next setup ?
> >
> > I'm running RH7.3 using Gnome for the window manager.  Under Gnome I
have tried the Network Configuration Wizard but when I select the xDSL
option for type of connection I don't get the correct hardware displayed
in
the list.  And now I'm stuck and hoping someone on this mailing list can
assist.

> > TIA
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> do you actually get an entry for ppp0 when you have made the
connection?
> that is, run ifconfig as root and there should be an entry beginning
with
something like

> ppp0    link encap: point-to-point protocol
>         inet addr: xxx.yyy.zzz.zzz
>
> if there's an address in there, you're done.
> if not, then send us a tail of your syslog.
>
> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Howitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Martin,
the return from the ifconfig ppp0 is shown below,

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
POINTOPOINT NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

as no inet address is shown I'm assuming something is wrong in my setup.
How do I get a syslog output ?  I presume the above is not this.

Paul

Pour se désinscrire :
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]