On Friday 05 September 2003 12:08 pm, Chris Bolton wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> >  That seems a bit excessive. Just unplug the modem and rerun modem_run
>
> etc.
>
> > However, the unloading of the USB module might be useful to automate the
> > task.
>
> I wish I could just unplug the modem, I forgot to mention its quicker to
> reboot the machine than to walk all the way over to the comms room and
> back. Unloading of the USB module didnt really help, pppd kept trying to
> redial and so the firmware couldnt be reloaded as the modem was sortof in
> use. Although I suppose I could of killed pppd oh well.

Here is the script for my connection it's debian so might not work for you but
to restart manually do

killall modem_run
killall pppd
'Restart hotplug' which just unloads then reloads all usb modules
Then run your startup script

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        start)
                echo -n "Starting ADSL: "
                sleep 10
                /usr/sbin/modem_run -m -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o
                /usr/sbin/pppd call adsl

                echo "done."
        ;;
        stop)
                echo -n "Stoping ADSL: "

                killall modem_run
                killall pppd

                echo "done."
        ;;
        restart)
                echo -n "Restarting ADSL: "

                $0 stop  >/dev/null
                /etc/init.d/hotplug restart >/dev/null
                sleep 5
                $0 start >/dev/null

                echo "done."
        ;;
        *)
                echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/speedtouch {start|stop|restart}"

                exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0