Hi Lewis,

> Snooping the behaviour of the modem in windows, it would seem that it is
> doing something very different in the 'run tests' phase, but omitting
> the run tests phase from modem_run doesn't make the modem work. I would
> stress, however, that I have very little experience with USB, and
> interpreting the sniffed interactions, so I could be very, very wrong
> about this.

I don't think you should take the name "run tests" too seriously.  Remember,
the whole thing was reverse engineered so we are just guessing as to what
that step does.  I guess it is some kind of extra initialization.

> At this point, I'm stuck, lacking the understanding of USB and the
> internals of the speedtouch to identify and fix the problem.

Well, the thing to do is to log all the USB packets sent and received during
this phase under windows, and try sending the same stuff in that part of
modem_run.

> My guess, however, is that the firmware for the 4.00 behaves differently
> to the others in some way, rendering it incompatible with the linux
> driver. Hopefully, the 'french' firmware will be compatible with the
> 4.00, but behave in a way the linux driver can understand.

A little bird tells me that the Thomson engineers may have a fix in the
works.  But I wouldn't let that hold you back.

All the best,

Duncan.