On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 02:04:22 +0100, Sergio Freire wrote
> Hi everybody,
> im using Fedora Core 1 and i have successfuly installed and
> configure Speedtouch 330 usb modem with kernels 2.4.xx and with some
> 2.6 versions which were compiled from source. I think until 2.6.3
> the user land driver worked, with some but minor problems. On newer
> 2.6 kernels it just doesn't work, it keeps giving an error after
> don't remember now but we can find it on the net very easily after a
> google search. I have already tried to patch the usbcore.c as
> someone on the net advised but netiher that way the problem was
> solved. I also changed a value on modem_run source to a value -1 or
> 1 (im not sure now) but that also did not solve the problem. To summarize:
>     - what is the problem with the newer 2.6 kernels?
>     - is there any correct solution available or planned?
>     - why, if the connection comes down, im never again able to
> reconnect? on 2.4 kernels and some 2.6 versions the only way i had
> to get into a "clean state" was by removing the usbcore, usb_hci,
>  modules and modprobing them again... this sometimes hangs the
> kernel.... any ideas why? maybe its not a speedtouch issue but a
> kernel one...     - why does the kernel module speedtch does not
> work? i was unable to get it working but there many other guys who
> face the same problem....
>
> Sorry if im reposting questions but i was unable to find answers on
> these subjects and im not the only one.

Sergio,

I can only add my observations. I was unable to get the kernelspace driver to
work because I was unable to compile br2684ctl. But I have the userspace
driver working properly with kernel 2.6.5. Kernel 2.6.6 has some serious usb
problems here (besides not booting on a sis730 laptop), so I gave up on that
one for now.
As for getting the connection back up again, the only way I can do that is to
kill pppoe3, pppd, modem_run, then unload usbcore and ohci_hcd, then loading
those again. The speedtouch.sh script will do the unloading/loading of the
modules if you tell it to (/etc/speedtouch.cfg), and in my howto you can see
where I added the killall instructions.

Regards,

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva             | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]