Hi,

I am having problems getting my SpeedTouch USB 330 (rev 4)
to run under Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3).
I have installed the speedtouch rpm package (ver. 1.3.1)
available from speedtouch.sf.net, and I am using the
ppp (ver. 2.4.2) and rp-pppoe (ver. 3.5) packages which
came with Fedora.  As for the Linux kernel driver, this
version of the kernel already includes it as a modules:
I can find it under /lib/modules/

Now, I'm still having problems understanding the overall
gist of the procedure.  I have found plenty of tutorials
on the net, but most of them simply state "DO THIS AND THIS"
without explaining the big picture.  At first they seemed
to be contradicting each other, but I now realised that there
are several different ways of getting the Speedtouch to work!
(Pure user-space, user-space plus kernel driver, etc.)

Anyway, my current understanding of the matter is that
hotplug will sense the modem being connected, will call
the script /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch, which will call
the script /usr/bin/speedtouch-start, which will call
modem_run and invoke ppp with the speedtouch-pppoe peer
as a parameter.  (The speedtouch-pppoe peer must be
configured with speedtouch-setup, if I understood correctly).

However, as you can see by the log at the end of this message,
modem_run seems to be invoked several times -- by whom, I wonder?

Also, there seems to be a problem loading the firmware.
I have found elsewhere on the net instructions stating that
the speedtouch firmware must first be split into two parts
before loading.  However, it seems that no else is following
these instructions and they claim that everythig works well
for them.

Well, to summarise: is the gist of the procedure outlined
above correct? Why is modem_run being run several times?
What else must be configured for things to run smoothly?
And what is this br2684ctl module that some people say
must be run in order to create the pppoe connection?
(I do know that the link used by my provider is PPPoE)

I hope you can provided me with answers to at least some
of these questions!  Also helpful would be an up-to-date
tutorial explaining all the options and possibilities of
getting the Speedtouch to run under Linux -- does someone
know of its existence?  (All my googling returned nothing
of the kind).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards,
Jean

Dec 26 09:16:29 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address
2
Dec 26 09:16:30 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error
-71
Dec 26 09:16:30 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address
3
Dec 26 09:16:50 myhost kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 8
Dec 26 09:16:50 myhost kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 20
Dec 26 09:16:50 myhost hald[2064]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 271.
Rebasing to 271
Dec 26 09:16:50 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
Dec 26 09:16:50 myhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver speedtch
Dec 26 09:16:51 myhost modem_run[2848]: modem_run version 1.3.1 started by root
uid 0
Dec 26 09:16:53 myhost modem_run[2925]: modem_run version 1.3.1 started by root
uid 0
Dec 26 09:16:54 myhost modem_run[2942]: modem_run version 1.3.1 started by root
uid 0
Dec 26 09:16:54 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: no stage 1 firmware found!<4>usb 1-1:
bulk timeout on
ep5in
Dec 26 09:16:54 myhost kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x85 len
512 ret -110
Dec 26 09:16:55 myhost hald[2064]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 274.
Rebasing to 275
Dec 26 09:16:58 myhost modem_run[2848]: Another program/driver is already
accessing the modem
(interface 1 cannot be claimed)...
Dec 26 09:17:09 myhost hald[2064]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 277.
Rebasing to 278
Dec 26 09:17:11 myhost hald[2064]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 280.
Rebasing to 281