[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks. I was aware of the fact that modem_run no longer is necessary
> under SuSE 9.3. My modem, as far as I can guess, does run.
> Also, pppd runs and pppoatm is loaded (though only by hand, as root, on my
> system). It seems as if only one small step is now necessary.

Well the first thing to do is to download a copy of the firmware-extractor
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/fedora/firmware-extractor
make it executable then use it to split your firmware

chmod +x firmware-extractor
./firmware-extractor KQD6_3.012 # or whatever firmware works for you

then copy the speedtch-1.bin and speedtch-2.bin files to /lib/firmware (or
wherever
hotplug keeps it's firmware on SuSE, you may need to create /lib/firmware).
When you
reboot the kernel should load the firmware automatically. Then you need to run
pppd,
which is a problem because SuSE 9.3 doesn't come with the pppoatm.so plugin
that pppd
needs to run over ATM. I don't know what to do about that yet. You could
install
linux-atm and recompile ppp-2.4.3 from the source. Without a copy of SuSE-9.3
to play
with, there's a limit to what I can do