Hi Chris,

> Jun  7 14:40:46 ortega kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 3
> Jun  7 14:40:47 ortega kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using
> ohci_hcd and address 4

here the modem disconnected then reconnected itself.  I don't know why.
On reconnection it is treated as a new USB device (which is the correct
thing to do), firmware is uploaded etc.  The funny thing is that the
first pppd problems occurred quite some time before (14:28).  Is it
possible that your ISP disconnected you?  I notice that the connection
time is close to 100 hours - do they have some kind of limit?

Ciao,

D.

PS: Any progress on the multilink stuff?