if you're new to linux, try using suse linux 10.... it is the best user
friendly version.... red hat is the worst user friendly, then there is
debian that is the "oldest" version (they are really reluctant to news) and
then there are the others that suck.... i tried most of the distros around
and i assure you that there are only 2 choices: suse for newbies and gentoo
for power users.... so if i were a newbie to linux i'd start with suse.... i
assure you that with it and with gentoo i didn't had ANY problem using the
modem.... oh, the last thing, when you split the firmware do only
"firmware_extractor your_firmware" and the do a "cp -f speedtch*
/lib/firmware" that it should be the default firmware directory.... after
that follow word by word the instructions for the chap/pap-secrets and the
dial under /etc/init.d/ directory.... so you should be online when you
startup.... if you want not to do it at startup (cause you cannot disconnect
it after) use the documentation for suse 9.2 relative to the "call speedtch"
and "killall pppd".... if you get a not found file error try renaming
"speedtch" to "speedtouch"....

ps. W GENTOO && KDE!!!!!   M debian and red hat && Gnome....
pps. the distro you're using is not under gnu or gpl, but it is PROPRIETARY,
so you must have a licence to use it and the lowest amount of licences are
10 according to zdnet review.... so you should really do as i said: install
suse or opensuse 10.... about 45min of installation with the predefined
kde.... it really worths....

2005/12/13, eduardo ogaesian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am new using Linux. Currently I am using the Red Hat Desktop 4. My modem
> is SpeedTouch 330 THOMSON ,revision 4. I did everything that is indicated
> in
> the "Extracting The Firmware" text, and the only thing I have get is
> removing my soundcard and floppy disk drivers. And still I coudn´t connect
> to the internet. My questions are:
>
> Is RedHat appropiate for these isntruction that you gave me in your
> webside?
> Should I get another distro?
>

> As you indicated me to download a copy of Udev, I downloaded and installed
> the udev-076.tar.bz2. Should I try with another version?
>

> In the end of "Extracting The Firmware" text you just say "All that
> remains
> to do then is to run pppd to connect to the wibbly wobbly web." How is
> this
> supposed to work if a didn´t enter my User name and my Password?
>
> I´ve tried everything. Please help me.

beso

d-_-b