Ok, after 2 days hitting myself against a wall with my little linux
experience I ran out of ideas.
I recompiled my 2.6.14.3 kernel with rfc2684 support as a module and
compiled br2684 utility against it.
After modprobe speedtch I can create a nas0 successfully using br2684 -b
1 -e 0 -c 0 -a 0.33 and it is also successfully configured.
Then I use ifconfig as suggested in the tutorial using the same IP
address and netmask my ISP assigns under windows.
As far as I understand, since there is no PPPD involved, the connection
should be readily established by now. But it is not.

Should I disable ppp support in the kernel? I'm not issuing pppd commands
In windows there is no need to specify any username or password. As soon
as the modem synchronizes I can freely browse the web.
What am I missing?

Alonso