Well, here are the tetex packages I have installed on CentOS 5.3:

# yum list installed | grep tetex
tetex.i386                             3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed
tetex-doc.i386                         3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed
tetex-dvips.i386                       3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed
tetex-fonts.i386                       3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed
tetex-latex.i386                       3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed
tetex-xdvi.i386                        3.0-33.2.el5_1.2
installed

Some, like tetex-doc, I'm sure are not needed.  I'm not really an
expert on tetex, but I am able to build simple documents - maybe more
is needed for more complex documents.

You might start with the following and see how far that gets you.

yum install tetex tetex-fonts tetex-latex

Regards,
Tim Bower
http://www.sal.ksu.edu/faculty/tim/