On 02.10.2009 11:14, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I noticed that every time I run
>
> make clean&&  make html
>
> on a sphinx-based site, I have a short stall and network activity, so
> I ran wireshark in the background, and it captured this conversation
> between my machine and 82.94.164.162 [...]
> Why is this necessary?  Is there something I've configured wrong to
> make this happen?

That's the sphinx plugin "intersphinx" which automatically links
references to standard-python (or other, if you configure it to do so)
names (e.g. `list`, `str`, `int`, `map`, `filter` but also
`configparser`, `os`, `sys` and so on).

See [1] for more on this topic.

[1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/intersphinx.html