Hi,

This is the "how to split a single reST document into multiple files"
issue again, within a particular context which might be of interest
for someone else. :-)

I'm using literate programming [1] for my current project, which is a
web app written in Python.  I chose noweb [2] as the tool for tangling
and weaving the sources.

Noweb natively lets you choose between LaTeX and HTML as the language
for writing the documentation -- and I wanted to use reST.  After a
bit of hacking with noweb's internals, I adapted its backend
"tohtml" (which does the HTML output), and now I have a more or less
working backend "torest".  Feeding Sphinx with the generated reST
file, and at last the docs for my project are beginning to look nice!

The main issue that remains is the handling of single vs multiple
files.  Let me explain.  For convenience, I work with separate noweb
source files (which look very much like reST documents, but with
embedded "code chunks" all over the place).  In order to generate from
them a true reST document, with all the cross-references among code
and docs, noweb requires that all those source files be joined as a
*single* file.  No problem, I concatenate them before running noweb.
But then noweb will output a single reST document, and I want to get
multiple HTML pages with Sphinx (say, one per section or subsection).

Some months ago, in the thread "Generating more than one html file
from a single rst file" [3], Georg Brandl said "For HTML output,
there's currently no way to split a single file into multiple output
files.  I'll add it to the list of feature requests :) "

So I'm merely adding an extra vote for this feature request, while
providing some extra context in case someone wants to suggest some
alternative approach.  In fact, I'm not even asking for a feature
within Sphinx itself -- if you just have an idea about how to
implement such a splitting of reST documents, it could be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noweb
[3]