I've been using an extension with the following line, in order to
document and catalog requirements:

   app.add_description_unit(directivename = 'requirement', rolename =
'req')

Now I'd like to customise the output of the directive, but that's
where I'm stuck.  The documentation says:

   "If you provide parse_node, it must be a function that takes a
string and a docutils node, and it must populate the node with
children parsed from the string. It must then return the name of the
item to be used in cross-referencing and index entries. See the ext.py
file in the source for this documentation for an example."

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any such ext.py file anywhere, so I
don't know where to start in figuring out how to use this.  Can anyone
help?