On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM, David <dwarnol...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm not sure of the purpose of :doc:. I got this to work:
>
> You can download :download:`junk.m`.
>
> But this:
>
> You can view :doc:`junk.m`.
>
> Gave this warning when compile with "make html".
>
> /Users/darnold/Documents/temp/Sphinx/intro.rst:95: WARNING: unknown
> document: junk.m
>
> Bug? Or am I missing something. Not sure if I understand the
> difference between :doc: and :download:.
>
> David

:doc: is intended for creating a link to a Sphinx document

:download: is for creating links to non-ReST files, e.g. python source
files, etc.

using :download: will also cause sphinx to put the referenced file in the
built sphinx project
(at least when building html) so that viewers of the html can download the
file

see also:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/markup/inline.html#cross-referencing-documents

Kevin Horn