I started writing a tagging extension for my own site - I was thinging
of starting from the app.add_object_type method -
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/appapi.html#sphinx.application.Sphinx.add_object_type
- and then generating overview pages with backlinks.

However, I then realised that the plain old index does everything I
want from tags, including a very nice overview page. Are you sure that
doesn't do what you want?

-dan