On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:08 AM, qx guy <qx0mons...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have the exact same issue using |version|. I want to include it in
> links (which e.g. point from the documentation to online demos which
> follow the same version scheme).
>
> I think there is a general issue with inline markup, where the
> contents of the markup is not interpreted, and as a consequence macros
> are not expanded. This affects probably more than just links. I
> wouldn't mind going to some effort to overcome this, e.g. by using
> reST directives, I just can't think of how :-/.
>
> If anybody has an idea how to "splice" macros into other reST markup,
> I would highly appreciate hearing about this.
>
> Thomas
>
> --

Not sure if this is what you mean but since conf.py is just a Python
file, you can do string substitutions in it.

For example, for I happen to do:

  rst_prolog="""

  .. |versionG|  replace:: :guilabel:`%s`

  """ % (version,)

because I sometimes need to include the version number in :guilabel:
styled text and :guilabel:`blah-|version|` won't work.

So now I can do:

  Right-click :guilabel:`blah-`\ |versionG| to do foo.

As far as links go, you might try this technique in combination with
the sphinx.ext.extlinks – Markup to shorten external links extension.
See http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/extlinks.html for details. (Pretty
sure this works for any links not just "external" ones).