On 2011-04-20, Gokhan Sever wrote:
> Hello,

> On Apr 20, 12:24 am, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:
>> On 2011-04-19, Gokhan Sever wrote:

>> > Using the latest sphinx checkout and following the latest-build
>> > documentation onhttp://sphinx.pocoo.org/latest/ext/math.html
>> > I have to configure my mathjax path as:
>> > mathjax_path = '../mathjax/MathJax.js?config=default.js'
>> > to get it properly working otherwise I get a warning from the mathjax
>> > for extra configuration.
>> > This probably needs to be updated in the devel documentation.

>> The Docutils now support also math with MathJax (however, making the
>> configuration available from Sphinx is an open task (volunteers?)).

> Could you explain what does this mean? and what advantage it will
> bring?

Sphinx uses Docutils (http://docutils.sf.net) for the rst -> HTML
conversion and a port of an early version of the Docutils LaTeX writer
for export to LaTeX.

The "math" directive and role were implemented as a Sphinx extension,
because at that time Docutils did not support mathematical notation.

This year, "math" directive and role were added to the developer
version of Docutils, so that even without the Sphinx-math-extension,
you can use (currently basic) math in your documents. The `Docutils
todo list`_ describes the state of the art and a roadmap.

.. _Docutils todo list:
  http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/docutils/trunk/docutils/docs/dev/todo.txt

Configuration is done different in Sphix vs. Docutils. Therefore, I
don't know how the built-in math can be configured from Sphinx.

>> The default mathjax_path is

>>     mathjax_url = ('http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?'
>>                    'config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML')

> I had to write as below for Sphinx to compile my documentation:

> mathjax_path = ('http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?
> config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML')

Yes, Sphinx uses the name mathjax_path (probably, because at the time
the mathjax extension was written, no public mathjax server was
available and the mathjax script expected to be on the local file
system.

However, as path and URL syntax differ (the default would not be a
valid path name), I decided to name the configuration option
mathjax-url.

Günter