On Monday, September 26, 2011 3:38:11 PM UTC-7, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> On 09/26/2011 08:52 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:
> >
> > I just tested it: I changed the code in one file (added a "print"
> > statement, did not change any documentation), and it was detected by
> > "print_modified_modules".  I think that the sphinx environment pickle
> > saves more than just the documentation produced by autodoc, so if you
> > change any part of a file, it recognizes this.  I thought that this is
> > what you were asking about originally, but maybe I'm misunderstanding
> > what you're saying.
>
> Well I have the following situation
>
> huge_code_base
>  |_ library_1
>  |_ library_2
>     |_ module1
>         |_ class X
>         |_ class Y
>
> etc etc.
> My idea is that if in my documentation I have something like
>
> .. autoclass:: library_2.module1.classX
>
> and IF the code in classX is changed since last time I built the doc, I
> get a warning that asks if I want to change the doc.
> But if I change classY nothing should be changed...
>
> If that code does this it would be perfect, but I don't understand how
> it does unless it's actually using autodoc behind the scenes...

In Sage, we have a huge amount of code, as you describe, and the
documentation is built by Sphinx using autodoc.  When we change any
particular module, Sphinx detects it and rebuilds the documentation just for
that module.  If we change some module which is not included in the
documentation (via autodoc), then Sphinx doesn't do anything.

I didn't write this particular code (builder.py), but it's how we use Sphinx
to (re)build our documentation.

--
John