Hi,

I'm producing lots of documentation via autogenerated rst files with custom
directives. One problem I'm facing is references; so far, I've been using
the standard docutils references setting a refurl manually; but this seems
fragile especially since Sphinx comes with its own cross-document
references. In my case, I'm generating IDs for all my references and that
makes it trivial to inject labels everywhere; but I'm not sure how to
reference them so Sphinx does the right thing at the end. I found
the XRefRole, but I'm not sure how to instantiate it manually. What I need
is to insert a reference while specifying the link text and the target,
corresponding to this syntax: :ref:`Link title <label-name>`. How am I
supposed to do this from within an extension? I assume that a standard
docutils label can be used as the label.

Cheers,
  -t