A minor suggestion then. From a project perspective, you probably wouldn't want
to check in to your source archive something that is the output of a process
(like running doxygen). I would think you would have a documentation build
process that would make a doxygen pass over your code base to generate the
intermediate files before running the make via sphinx.

At least this is what I'm trying to do with a large project I have that is
using a mix of languages (C, C++, python, etc)... Hence my interest in this
tool.