It finally dawned on me to take advantage of the fact that we're using our
own theme.  In layout.html, we insert:

<script type="text/javascript">var builder="{{builder}}";</script>

then a subsequent script can check that variable:

if ( (typeof builder != 'undefined') && (builder == "singlehtml") ) {
. . .
}

Peter