The perhaps unfortunate aspect of many of these "super doc" tools is that you either use the default output, or you *must* have an understanding of the underlying format to which they are converting. Yes, the \renewcommand is one approach, and if it's not working for you, I don't immediately know the exact "incantation" to help you. It works for me.

Put differently, exactly where to put the \renewcommand in the final TeX file, and how Sphinx puts the various pieces of the LaTeX document together are important pieces to know.

Suggestion: compile the document as normal, then take the generated *.tex and *.sty files, and munge them as appropriate (perhaps with help from Google, etc.) until you find the "magic incantation" that works. Hint:

pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory="some/dir" file.tex

I find the -output-directory option especially helpful in keeping my input and output separate.

This has the two-fold benefit that you begin to learn some of the underlying format to which Sphinx is translating, and gets you to the point you want to be in terms of final output.