On 2012-08-18, Aivar Annamaa wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

> Hi!

> I'm trying to write an inline code sample with a syntax error in it: ``x =
> 3 + (4 * 5 ``, but I get error "Inline literal start-string without
> end-string". If I close the parens, then the error goes away.

This is not about the parenthesis but the space before the end-string.

Is there a space before the end-string in your sample, too?

Does it work with ``x = 4 + (3 * 5``?

For reference: Does it work with ``x = 4 + (3 * 5) ``?

In order to minimize false positives, there are quite elaborated rules for
recognition of rST role start- and end-strings. See
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#inline-markup-recognition-rules

Günter