At edX, we're using intersphinx to link among our own projects.  But it's
designed to pull .inv files from readthedocs.  This means if we add a new
reference between projects, the build will fail until the target has been
published.  I tried using the second value in the mapping tuple to point to
a local file, but the file hadn't been created yet.

Is there a way to generate all the .inv files in a first pass, and then do
the full build of the doc?

--Ned.