Thank you for your quick response Jean-François!

The titlesec version, I use, is indeed v2.10.1. Is there something wrong
with this one?

The Sphinx version running on my ubuntu machine is 1.3.6. This seems to be
quite old, but when I want to update it, my package manager reports that it
is already the newest version.

Greetings

Benedikt